Sunday, April 29, 2018

WHERE IS THAT GREAT PICTURE YOU PROMISED US? - by guest Stephen M. Kohler

Today, I would like to turn my post over to a friend and fellow researcher who had some good words and advice. I couldn't say it better than he did. So enjoy some words of wisdom from Stephen.



I wasn't always a soldier. Before I made a later in life choice to enter the military I was a certified teacher, artist, photographer, journalist, and the editor of two local periodicals. I was a guide for waterfowlers and my Miranda Sensorex 35mm Film SLR Camera always slung around my neck. I wasn't the average avid outdoorsman, I was the real McCoy! In the ten years slogging salt water marshes and patrolling around deep forested ponds I took thousands of photographs. Canned shots took time to set up, but always looked canned. The number of great catches didn't exceed five or six photographs. Why, so few great shots... ...here's why -


 1 It's Been Done Before.
 2 Photo Opportunities Are Rare.
 3 No Control Over The Subject.
 4 Wildlife Is Unpredictable And Dangerous.
 5 Long Times Away, Alone.
 6 Preparedness.
 7 Difficult To Make A Living
   (The real thing you do  for a living gets in the way)
 8 Equipment Cost.
 9 Travel Cost.
10. The Risk To Life And Limb.

Now apply this to the great shot of the Grizzly Bear playing with her young, or the Bobcat pouncing on a Tom Turkey, or Bigfoot relaxing by a brook.


So for those of you wondering why great photos are so few and far between, there's another perspective on it, from one who's been there.  Makes me even sadder when we frenzy over a photo, tearing at it like wild dogs. But then, that was a different post. LOL

Nancy

"I'll spark the thought; what you do with it is up to you."





No comments:

Post a Comment

CHANGES

  It is with some sadness that this announces the last post from Sasquatch Observations blogsite. But it's not really a good-bye. A grea...